Mutual Funds and Abandoned Property FAQs

What is abandoned property?

All states have rules governing so-called "abandoned property." Financial institutions, including brokerage firms, banks, and transfer agencies, are required to report personal property that has been abandoned and then remit that property to the state.

Your mutual fund account (including the fund shares and any uncashed distribution checks in the account) may be considered abandoned if certain criteria are met, such as mail being returned as undeliverable or a certain number of years elapsing since you initiated any contact on the account.

Once property meets the abandoned property requirements in your state of residence, it must be turned over to the state in a process known as "escheatment."

What is an abandoned property notice? Why did I receive one?

Receiving an abandoned property notice is disconcerting, however if you act in a timely manner, you can protect your property. Abandoned property notices are primarily sent as a result mail being returned as undeliverable or a certain number of years elapsing since there was any activity on the account. If you do not make your account active or respond to the notice, your property may be escheated and turned over to your state’s unclaimed property division. Thankfully, escheatment is preventable. If you receive a letter, telephone call or e-mail attempting to re-establish contact with you, please respond to the notice.

What is escheatment?

  • Escheatment is when abandoned property is turned over to the state.
  • Property that can be escheated includes uncashed dividend checks, the assets (such as shares of mutual funds) in the account or both.
  • Financial institutions are required to report abandoned property. Calvert will make several attempts to contact the shareholder before turning property over to the state.
  • If Calvert is unable to locate the shareholder, the state claims the account and becomes the owner of the property.
  • Abandoned property is usually turned over to the state of the shareholder’s last known residence.
  • Once the property has been turned over to the state, the shareholder must contact the appropriate state agency to begin the process of reclaiming the property.

How can I protect my accounts from escheatment?

Contacting Calvert at least once a year ensures that your accounts are protected from escheatment.

What are some examples of contact?

  • Access your account online. Click the button to log in now. Account Access

  • Call one of Calvert's customer service representatives at 800-368-2745, 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern Time, Monday through Thursday and until 5:00 PM on Fridays.
  • Notify Calvert promptly of any change in your name or address. Our address is:
       Calvert Funds
       P.O. BOX 219544
       Kansas City, MO 64121-9544
  • Cash any dividend and redemption checks you receive promptly.
  • Respond to any notice attempting to re-establish contact. If you have any concerns about the legitimacy of the request or call you might receive, we encourage you to contact us directly at our 800-368-2745 or log into your account using the links provided on this website.

What can I do to retrieve my property if it is escheated?